Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Biking

Today it was hot (94). But, I decided to see how long it would take me to ride downtown to where I can catch the T (Boston's Subway) to work. 20 minutes! Not too bad. Will probably quadruple my overall commute time, but I'll get my workout in. I will also help reduce carbon emissions.

Biking to work probably goes towards the top of a list of things good for you and the environment. It's not easy to bike. I had to deal with aggressive motorists, no bike lanes, exhaust. And I can't even take my bike on the T during rush hour.

A few years ago I was in the Netherlands, where tons of people bike to work in safe bike lanes, rain or shine. If we want to reduce carbon output and make healthier communities we need bike racks, bike lanes, and rules allowing bikes on public transportation.

Below is one organization trying to make a difference. I will try to make a difference by biking to work twice a month. Hopefully it will reduce my carbon footprint (You can calculate yours by clicking on the link at the top right of my blog) AND be good for my heart.

MassBike: The Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition

No comments: